Wishing you a very happy Thanksgiving


“In everything give thanks; for this is the will of God in Christ Jesus concerning you.” I Thessalonians 5:18

Here it is again. November. And we have just rounded the corner toward the close of this year.
King Solomon said, “To everything there is a season, a time for every purpose under the sun.” (Eccl. 3:1) November on our calendar is the season and time for giving thanks. We call it Thanksgiving Day. I am thankful that our country still celebrates this holiday. I am most thankful that it’s original celebration was for the purpose of giving thanks to God for all His goodness in bringing them safely from England to this new land of opportunity we call America. Not just thankful for a day off from work.
Part of my family will be with me again this year to celebrate, but all of my family will be “together” in remembering the goodness of God in each of our lives during this past year. I am certain the same thing will be happening at your house, as well.
For those of you who may enjoy history, page 2 of this newsletter is a quote form History.com describing the events that brought us to this day. I hope you enjoy reading it.
Ministry News 
The Blog: This is now my job, and I enjoy it very much. It keeps me more than busy, but it is the kind of busy-ness I love. It provides me with a venue for speaking to the need for more fulltime workers in God’s harvest fields of the world. Especially the unreached people groups that have not yet heard the wonderful name of Jesus. I am sure I will never know the full extent of how many lives will be changed through my efforts. But I am sure the Holy Spirit will cause it to reach those whom the Father desires it to reach. I would ask that you keep me in your prayers as I carry on in this new season of my life.
Nigeria: While Chuwang Davou was visiting with me last month, I asked him if the churches and works he is the leader of are involved in doing the work of evangelism. Or, do they concentrate only on developing new leaders for the already established churches? His answer was that they do some evangelism. I reminded him that the purpose for Jesus coming to earth is that the lost in this world might be saved. That evangelism must always be a priority for the churches. He totally agreed, and he has already conducted an outreach in his own area. Here is his report: “We had the opportunity to get the attention of youth in our community to hear the good news of the kingdom again and many re-dedicated their lives, and yes, to re-commit their lives to the service of God. I have already received two testimonies this morning of young people ready to go to missions.” He has assured me that follow-up ministry is in place. Praise God. Sometimes all of us need to be reminded of the most important thing.
To My Partners
As always, you are continually in my prayers. I am most thankful to God for your faithful partnership with me in the gospel. It takes team work for the purpose of God in the earth to be accomplished. You are definitely part of the team. Thank you for your prayers and financial support. You are loved and appreciated.
May this Thanksgiving Day be a very special one for you with family and friends, good food, and lots of love to go around.
 Because there are over 4.4 billion people in the world who still need Jesus, I remain
Yours in missions,



Mary Ann Cassidy

In September 1620, a small ship called the Mayflower left Plymouth, England, carrying 102 passengers—an assortment of religious separatists seeking a new home where they could freely practice their faith and other individuals lured by the promise of prosperity and land ownership in the New World. After a treacherous and uncomfortable crossing that lasted 66 days, they dropped anchor near the tip of Cape Cod, far north of their intended destination at the mouth of the Hudson River. One month later, the Mayflower crossed Massachusetts Bay, where the Pilgrims, as they are now commonly known, began the work of establishing a village at Plymouth.

In November 1621, after the Pilgrims’ first corn harvest proved successful, Governor William Bradford organized a celebratory feast and invited a group of the fledgling colony’s Native American allies, including the Wampanoag chief Massasoit. Now remembered as American’s “first Thanksgiving”—although the Pilgrims themselves may not have used the term at the time—the festival lasted for three days. While no record exists of the first Thanksgiving’s exact menu, much of what we know about what happened at the first Thanskgiving comes from Pilgrim chronicler Edward Winslow, who wrote:

“Our harvest being gotten in, our governor sent four men on fowling, that so we might after a special manner rejoice together, after we had gathered the fruits of our labors; they four in one day killed as much fowl, as with a little help beside, served the Company almost a week, at which time amongst other Recreations, we exercised our Arms, many of the Indians coming amongst us, and amongst the rest their greatest king Massasoit, with some ninety men, whom for three days we entertained and feasted, and they went out and killed five Deer, which they brought to the Plantation and bestowed on our Governor, and upon the Captain and others. And although it be not always so plentiful, as it was at this time with us, yet by the goodness of God, we are so far from want, that we often wish you partakers of our plenty.”

Historians have suggested that many of the dishes were likely prepared using traditional Native American spices and cooking methods. Because the Pilgrims had no oven and the Mayflower’s sugar supply had dwindled by the fall of 1621, the meal did not feature pies, cakes or other desserts, which have become a hallmark of contemporary celebrations. 


(quoted from www.History.com)

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

News From The North...

From Mary Ann's Desk...

News From the North.......