Happy New Year 2013

“As you have therefore received Christ Jesus the Lord, so walk you in Him: Rooted and built up in Him, and established in the faith as you have been taught, bounding therein with thanksgiving.”. Colossians 2:6-7


If we were to believe the Mayan Calendar, then we’re not supposed to be here. The world was supposed to end on December 21, 2012. But, nevertheless, the world did not end.

Jesus said that no one knows the day or the hour, not the angels in heaven, nor the Son, only the Father (Matthew 24:36, Mark 13:32). He also said that it’s not for us to know the times or dates the Father has set by His own authority (Acts 1:7). The very last thing Jesus said to His disciples before He ascended into heaven was the oh so familiar Great Commission (Matthew 28:18-20; Mark 16:15).

So here we are, ushering in yet another New Year. We close 2012 grateful for all the many blessings we have received, and we greet 2013 with expectant anticipation as we press forward in our pursuit of fulfilling our assigned portion of going “into all the world...”

Last week, I happened to be conducting a certain business transaction that required more than one visit. During this time, I was asked what my vocation is. I explained that I am a missionary, and that I teach the Bible to nationals who are preparing themselves to be church leaders. Upon hearing this, the gentleman with whom I was transacting the business opened his top left desk drawer, pulled out a daily devotional book, and said these words to me:

“I go to such-and-such church, and every morning when I come to work – before I do anything else – I read from this devotional book; but I don’t know much about the Bible.”

On my next visit, he shared some of his life experiences with me, which, in turn, gave me some wonderful opportunities to encourage him in his church life and his walk with the Lord.  More than once, though, during this second visit, he repeated the phrase, “…but I don’t know much about the Bible.” My heart was pierced and saddened to realize his condition, and I walked away knowing in my heart that he is only one of a vast number who “don’t know much about the Bible.” How sad is this kind of situation, for our whole experience as followers of Christ is to be based upon what is written in the Bible.

I thank God for this experience, because it fortified me for the very thing that Bud and I, and all the others who have worked alongside us in this ministry, have devoted our lives to – teaching others the word of God so that they can teach others who will continue to teach others also.

I also thank God for this new year – 2013. The end of all things has not yet come. We must keep ourselves ready, should His coming be in our life time. Until He does come, however, we will continue doing the work God has called us to perform – preach the word, teach the word; equip others to shepherd the flock of God, preparing them for life now and at His coming.

In closing, thank you so very much for faithfully laboring with us in the Gospel, through your prayers and financial gifts. We are not strong enough to do this by ourselves. We need your strength added to ours in order to accomplish all God has enabled us to do together for the saving of the lost and the raising up of the next generation of church leaders in the places He has sent us.

With joy and great anticipation, we look forward to your continued partnership in this new year.
Now, may the grace, and peace, and overflowing blessing of our Lord reign supreme in your lives from this day forward.

Because there are over 4.4 billion people in the world who still need Jesus, I remain
Yours in missions,

Mary Ann Cassidy


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

News From The North...

From Mary Ann's Desk...

News From the North.......